How easy is to master a guitar?

I know of a person who can play essentially all musical instrumenrs except a guitar. He said he found it to be the toughest to learn. However, I see it commonly being played.

How easy is it to master a guitar for a fresher?

pwarbi

From my perspective I found it relatively simple to be able to play the fundamentals of it, but to become good does take a long time. There are various books and even YouTube videos around these days that can teach you how to play simple songs in a matter of a couple of hours but to be able to play your own music for example then it's going to take a lot longer.

The basic chords can be learnt easy enough, but the problem is you aren't going to be able to make much music just by using those alone, and that's when it starts to get tricky and can be a little off putting because after learning all the basic chords quickly, it takes days/weeks or months to learn the rest of what you'll need and that's why people give up.

I believe that there are gifted persons who can play a musical instrument very well and with ease. Some do not need chords guide for they can guess the proper chord. It is called oido where they can play by ear. But for ordinary mortals like me, I have to strive hard to learn how to play well the guitar.

Some do not need chords guide for they can guess the proper chord. It is called oido where they can play by ear.
Playing by ear is indeed a powerful gift. However, a lot of people have it to only some degree. Therefore, without the ability to read rhythm, the learning of tough tablature is often a challenge.

From all of your replies I can gather that it is not possible to master an instrument without a Guru.

ItsIt's not only difficult to find a guitar teacher these days but also should be quite costly I believe.

Fuzyon

Everyone can play the guitar nowadays, there are plentiful of tutorials online and probably after a month of playing you can be at a decent level and perform a couple of beginner songs from start to finish. It can take decades to master the guitar though, it's definitely possible but it takes a lot of practice and muscle memory to have the fretboard mapped in your brain and to be fast enough to play whatever's thrown at you. Even the best guitar players in the world have things to learn, they never stop improving.

I have to agree with that @Fuzyon, there are plenty of tutorials that can teach us how to play and we even have software and hardware to help us to learn, so today's learners job is made easy, what doesn't mean that it's simple as it requires that we love what we are doing enough to dedicate it time to learn properly. No dedication, no learning! :)

For me, it doesn't require as much work because I have several friends musicians, so... They are always willing to help me whenever I need them. However, I also like solving things on my own, and after much research - which by the way, I still do - I can handle my guitar practically alone (and so far... I'm very pleased with the final result). ;)

Depends on what you consider mastering, and what kind of music you want to play/write. Some people are perfectly fine with learning some basic chords and have become successful musicians with just simple music.

Depends on what you consider mastering, and what kind of music you want to play/write. Some people are perfectly fine with learning some basic chords and have become successful musicians with just simple music.
In that case, the joke about punk rockers only knowing three chords is really on the joker. ;)

Last edited: